The amounts of ingredients in this recipe are up to you! When I make quesadillas, I don’t usually use specific amounts – this makes it great for using up leftovers too!
- Sliced peppers (red are best, but orange and green are nice too)
- Sliced onions
- about ½ cup or more of salsa
- 6–8 chicken breasts (amount is up to you!)
OR other meat/protein of your choice
- taco seasoning
- a little cooking oil
- flour tortillas
- shredded cheese – a combination of sharp cheddar and pepper jack is nice but you can use whatever you like)
- Chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- lime wedges
Prepare your Ingredients
Once all your ingredients have been prepared, lay out so you’re ready to assemble your quesadillas easily. Have your tortillas, cheese, chopped cilantro, cooked chicken filling, and cooked peppers lead out and ready.
- Cook your chicken/meat: This is the first thing you need to do when making homemade quesadillas. I like to grill chicken breasts that have been sprinkled with taco seasoning, then once they’ve cooled for a few minutes after cooking, I thinly slice them and set them aside until I’m ready to assemble the quesadillas.
- Cook the Veggies: In a large pan or skillet, I cook sliced bell peppers (red, orange and green are all great!) along with some thinly sliced onions in a little oil. Once they’re almost finished cooking, I add about ½ cup of prepared salsa and cook for a few more minutes. Set aside until you’re ready to assemble the quesadillas.
How to Assemble a Quesadilla:
- Be sure to have your ingredients set out and ready to go – cooked chicken, cooked peppers and onions, chopped cilantro, cheese, and tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese on half of the tortilla circle. On top of this, add strips of the grilled chicken, then lay some cooked pepper and onion slices on top. Next, sprinkle some chopped cilantro, then add some cheese on top.
- Fold the empty side of the tortilla over the side with the fillings.
- Brush the top of the quesadilla with melted butter, then cook in a panini press, large skillet or in the oven. Be sure to brush some melted butter on the surface of your skillet or whatever you’re using to cook the quesadilla.
- Continue these steps with the remaining tortillas until you use up all your ingredients.
How to Serve Quesadillas
- Before serving, allow the quesadilla to cool down a bit – about 5 minutes – this will make it easier to cut and help prevent the filling from slipping out. Cut each folded and cooked quesadilla in half so you have 2 triangles. I typically serve 4 triangles per person.
- Serve along with a small bowl of salsa and small bowl of sour cream for each person. Place a lime wedge on the plate.
- TIP: The lime juice adds a wonderful flavor to the quesadillas! I like to squeeze a bit of lime over top of my quesadillas as I devour them – or you could squeeze some into your salsa!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Panini Press/Skillet/Oven
- Cuisine: Tex Mex - Mexican Inspired