Let's start the week off with some chocolate!
I know you're going to love these crunchy chocolate cookies. I mean, look at them. Seriously! 🙂
These delicious little cookies go perfect with a nice big cup of coffee or some hot chocolate. They're just perfect for dipping into your favorite hot drink.
In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing as I write this! 🙂
Over the weekend I had the chance to take advantage of some much needed alone time to catch up on my cooking and baking. That's when these yummy cookies were born! 🙂
So while I had the house to myself, I was busy baking and got to test these tasty crunchy chocolate cookies all by myself.
No shame here. Taste testing is the best part of cooking!
I wanted to create these cookies to be similar to the texture of biscotti so they would hold up well when dipped into a hot drink.
So of course I had to do a bit of testing as I went along! 😀
Not only do these cookies taste great, they're also soooo pretty to look at.
The chocolate drizzle hardens on the tops of the cookies – this makes for an awesome texture especially when you dip them into a hot drink!
The chocolate gets all melty again and it's wonderful! Try it!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsps unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
Chocolate Drizzle Ingredients:
- 1 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp milk (might need a little more or less depending on the consistency of drizzle you want)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare 2 cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder. Make sure it's well combined.
- Using an electric mixer (I use my stand mixer with the paddle attachment but you can use a hand mixer if you like), cream together the butter, shortening, sugar and grated chocolate.
- Once creamed together, beat in the eggs, vanilla and milk until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients about 1/2 a cup at a time. Mix until it reaches a consistency of dough.
- Form the dough into 10 equal sized balls. Set in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
- Using the palm of your hand place the balls onto the baking sheet and gently push down to make into the shape of little mounds or as my son calls “turtle shells”. 🙂
- Make sure that the cookies are placed a couple of inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 10 – 12 minutes. Once one baking sheet is taken out, allow it to cool for 5 minutes before moving the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Place the next baking sheet into the oven to bake the rest of the cookies.
- Melt the chocolate drizzle ingredients together in a small heat proof measuring cup. Heat for 15 seconds then take it out and stir. Repeat this until it's melted but be careful not to burn it! You may need to add a tiny bit more milk to get the consistency you prefer.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, drizzle the tops with the melted chocolate.
- Dust the tops of the cookies with the powdered sugar while the melted chocolate is still a little warm/wet.
- Allow the cookies to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden on the tops.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 24 mins
- Category: Dessert
I'd love it if you joined me at my new Facebook group – Good Home Cooking! It's a group where you can join others who are just as excited about food and cooking as we are!