- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted before measuring
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda, dissolved in 1 cup water
- Optional but highly recommended: Whipped cream for topping 😋
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9″x9″ metal baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine molasses, shortening and egg.
- In a separate bowl, using a whisk, combine flour, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine.
- Add the baking soda dissolved in water to the batter and combine.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan and use a spoon to spread it evenly. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Allow the gingerbread to cool (while still in the pan) on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes. Once it’s cooled, remove it from the pan by lifting it out by the edges of the parchment paper. Cut evenly into 12 squares.
- Serve plain or with whipped cream on top. 😋
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking