If you're looking for a dessert this holiday season to impress your guests this would be it! These chocolate candy cane eclairs a lot easier to make than you think too!
These chocolate candy cane eclairs are surprisingly easy to make and are so delicious and lovely! You honestly don't need worry about the level of difficulty in making the pastry for the eclairs – it's so much more simple than it looks. The pastry uses very simple ingredients and I've laid out the details in the recipe below. 🙂
Once you get the hang of it (and that won't take long) you'll never have to buy these at the store again! I've seen desserts similar to these in fancy bakeries going for as much as $13 each! That's just crazy when you realize you can make the whole batch yourself for under $6!
The eclairs are filled with peppermint whipped cream, topped with delicious semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkled with candy cane pieces. The pastry is light and fluffy and makes for an excellent dessert. Another awesome thing about eclairs is that they can be made ahead of time and frozen – you just have to take them out of the freezer about 4-5 hours before you plan on serving them and they'll be ready.
These are the perfect Christmas and holiday season dessert!Print
- 2 candy canes – crushed – you can put them in a zip top baggie and crush them with a rolling pin
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 5 oz semi-sweet bakers chocolate
- 3 tbsp butter, salt free
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 6 tbsps water
- 1/2 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Sift together the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Bring butter and water to a boil in saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Gradually pour the flour mixture into the saucepan while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Stir until well combined – It should start to form a ball.
- Put the pan with the contents back on the burner and stir it around for about 1 min.
- Remove the dough ball from the saucepan and place it into a bowl.
- Mix using an electric hand or stand mixer (paddle attachment) mix the dough to release a bit of the heat. Gradually add one egg at a time until each are well mixed. Keep in mind that each egg needs to be completely mixed in before the next eggs is added.
- Mix the dough and egg mixture on medium/high speed until it reaches a thick consistency.
- Put the dough into a piping bag.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Pipe the dough mixture out onto the parchment paper in lengths of about 4.5″. Leave about 1.5″-2″ of space between each.
- Place into 450°F oven and bake for 15 minutes.They should be golden and puffed up at this point.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 350°F and bake for additional 10 minutes (do not take the pastries out of the oven during this step).
- Once 10 minutes has been reached, turn off the heat of the oven. Leave the pastries in the oven for an additional 10 minutes to dry the insides.
- Take pastries out and cool on wire rack.
- Using a stand mixer or electric mixer beat the cream and powdered sugar until it thickens to a whip cream consistency.
- Add the peppermint extract and mix on a low setting.
- Once combined put the filling into a piping bag with a metal end and a large hole
- Poke a hole in the top of the pastry and push some of the filling in. Poke 2 more holes in the top and push some more filling into the eclair. The holes should be spaced out on top so that there will be equal filling throughout the eclair.
- Continue filling the rest of the eclairs in the manner above and place in the fridge to chill while making the chocolate topping.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a pot on the stove using low heat. Combine well. Only use low heat or the chocolate will burn.
Finishing the Eclairs! 🙂
- While the chocolate is still warm coat the tops of the eclairs using a large spatula. I find that this is easiest when holding the eclair over the chocolate bowl and letting the excess drip off.
- Once eclairs are topped with chocolate (and while chocolate is still warm) sprinkle the tops with crushed candy cane pieces.
- Place the eclairs in the fridge to chill for at least few hours before serving.