- 4 tsp quick rise yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 4 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 2/3 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- a sprinkling of cornmeal
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, stir together the yeast, warm water, and sugar. Let rise for about 5-10 min until foamy.
- Combine four and salt in a separate bowl using a whisk – or you can use a sifter if you like.
- Stir in the olive oil, then turn the mixer on low and gradually add in the flour and salt mixture, about 1/2 a cup at a time.
- Turn mixer up to medium and knead the dough until it comes together and forms a soft ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Temporarily remove the dough and spray the sides of the bowl with cooking spray. Replace the dough and spray the top.
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise 1 1/2 hours in a warm place.
- Once the dough has doubled in size punch it down. Remove from the bowl and let it rest for about 10 min.
- Turn dough out gently onto a floured surface and divide the it in half using a knife of a pastry cutter.
- If you’re using just one of the doughs, put one in a freezer bag and put in fridge or freezer until needed.
- Roll out the dough roughly into the shape of a circle the size of the pan.
- Carefully place the dough on a pizza pan which has been greased and sprinkled with a bit of cornmeal.
- You can let this rise for a little while if you like a nice thick crust or you can use it sooner.
- Before putting your toppings on take a fork and poke holes in the dough all over the surface to prevent any big air bubbles in the dough from forming.
- Top with desired toppings and bake in a 450 oven for around 20 minutes or until crust is firm and golden and center of pizza is cooked through.
- Category: Baking