- 3 lbs short ribs
- ground sage
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium onions, peeled but not chopped
For the Sauce:
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsps mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet, season the ribs with salt, pepper and a sprinkling of ground sage. Brown the short ribs on all sides, but you don’t have to cook all the way through since they’ll be cooking in the oven.
- Place the ribs in a roasting pan with the 2 peeled onions. Leave the onions whole.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce until combined. Pour this over the ribs and stir them up a bit to make sure they’re coated.
- Put the roasting pan in the oven (with the lib on) for 2 hours to cook. Check on the ribs a couple times during cooking and stir them up a bit to make sure the sauce is evenly coating everything.
- When the 2 hours are done, check to make sure the sauce is thick enough to your liking. If you’d like the sauce thicker you can put it back in the oven for a little longer- maybe 15 minutes or so – it just depends on how thick you want it.
These are great served with potato wedges or white rice.