- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup of butter (make sure it’s VERY cold – I chop it up and set it in the fridge until I need it)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/14 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsps sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 lb strawberries, stems removed, chopped (This is equal to about 2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 8″x8″ metal baking pan with butter or cooking spray. Line with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chopped strawberries, 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. I like to use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients so everything is combined well.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix egg and vanilla.
- Pour the egg and vanilla mixture into the dry ingredients (flour etc mixture)
- Add the cold butter to the mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, combine the ingredients so that you have a crumbly mixture. The mixture should be crumbly with pea sized chunks of butter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Take 1/2 the crumbly dough mixture and press it evenly onto the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spoon the strawberry mixture evenly over the bottom layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbly dough over top of the strawberry layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is a nice golden color.
- Place on a baking rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- For best results chill overnight in the fridge before serving.
- Cut into 16 tasty little squares. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Flavor Mosiac.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking