- 2 pork rib racks, total weight about 4 1/2 lbs
- 1/8 cup smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup pineapple jam (or preserves)
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 2 medium onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, pinch
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used Tabasco Chipotle Hot Sauce)
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 round tsp oregano
- 2/3 cup pineapple jam (or preserves)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rub the pork ribs in the smoked paprika, concentrating on the meaty parts.
- Spread the pineapple jam over the meat sides of the ribs.
- Set ribs meat side down in a large baking dish or an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Using additional foil, cover the ribs and form a tight seal around the edges.
- Cook in the oven for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- While the ribs are cooking, make the sauce according the the directions below.
- Remove the ribs from the oven and drain excess fat from the dish/baking sheet.
- Cut the ribs and place them into the baking dish (It’s best if you use a baking dish at this point since you need to make room for that lovely sauce!).
- Increase the heat of the oven to 425°F.
- Pour the sauce over the ribs and cook uncovered in the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
To make the Sauce:
- In a sauce pan, heat the oil on medium.
- Add the onions and garlic until softened.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients to the pot and combine with a whisk.
- Increase the heat and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Once the sauce has boiled for a couple minutes and is bubbling, lower the heat and let it reduce while the ribs are cooking in the oven in the first part of the recipe.
- Make sure to stir the sauce a few times.
- Once the the ribs come out of the oven the sauce should be thicker. If you’d like to reduce it further, you can – it’s up to you.
- Use the sauce as explained earlier. If you’d like, you can save a little of the sauce on the side for dipping too!
If you’d like, you can marinade the ribs overnight in the paprika and pineapple jam before cooking.
Just make sure that the pineapple jam is on the meaty side of the ribs so that the flavors sink in there! 🙂
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Main