- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-size cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned (I used a 398ml can)
Note: I prefer using canned pineapple for this recipe since it’s quick and easy, but also the flavors have more “oooopmh”.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, minced or chopped finely
- ½ cup pineapple juice (use the reserved juice from the can, if using a canned pineapple chunks)
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ cup chicken broth or stock
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch combined with 1 tbsp cold water
- Green onions (the green parts), chopped, for garnish (and flavour!)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a large pan or wok, over medium heat cooking oil. Add chicken breast and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook through while stirring a few times until no longer pink.
- Add chopped red pepper and pineapple chunks to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Add ginger and garlic. Stir and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice, soy sauce, chicken broth, hoisin and brown sugar. Stir so everything is combined. Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Next, add the cornstarch and water mixture. Combine well with the sauce and bring to a slight boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a couple minutes. The sauce should thicken up some.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle sesame seeds over top along with some chopped green onions. Enjoy!
To Cook in the Oven: Combine all the recipe ingredients and pour them into a baking dish (9″ is fine). Cook uncovered for about 30-35 minutes. Before serving, stir the contents of the dish and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.
To prepare in Advance: You can prepare your pineapple chicken in advance, but to make it as simple as possible, I’d recommend baking it according to the Oven instructions above. The ingredients can be prepared and combined up to 2 days before cooking.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Stove top in pan or wok
- Cuisine: Asian/Chinese Inspired