- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 2–3 tbsps lemon extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup + 3 tbsps confectioners sugar (aka powdered sugar)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan with butter or cooking spray. You can line the pan with parchment paper if you like, but I don’t find it absolutely necessary.
- In a mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, combine eggs, sugar, canola oil, and sour cream until smooth. You can use an electric mixer for this, but I find it’s easy enough to mix by hand with a spoon.
- Add the lemon zest and the lemon extract, combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using a whisk, combine the all purpose flour with baking powder and salt.
- To the wet ingredients, add the flour mixture and combine with a wooden spoon. Combine until the dry ingredients just start to dissolve into the wet – do not overmix! If you see any lumps in the batter, don’t worry! That’s ok and actually preferable as it means you haven’t over worked your batter.
- Spread the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool (while still in the pan) on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes or until room temperature.
- Glaze the lemon loaf once it has cooled completely, then serve sliced. You may also want to make extra glaze to serve on the side to drizzle more over the top if desired.
To make the Glaze:
- Combine confectioners sugar with lemon juice. Smash any lumps using the back of your spoon. Pour glaze over the top of your lemon loaf once it has cooled completely.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Baked Goods/Desserts
- Method: Oven