- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
For the marinade:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chipotle in adobo sauce
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Process on high for a couple seconds or until the ingredients are smooth.
- Marinate the chicken thighs the mixture for a least 1 hour before cooking, but longer is better.
To Cook on a Grill
- Put some oil on a hot grill and cook the chicken on each side for about 5 minutes, or until golden. Turn down the heat and cook for about 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F when checked with a meat thermometer.
To Cook in a Frying Pan
- Heat a heavy bottom frying pan with a little cooking oil. Place the chicken in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until it gets nice and golden. Turn down the heat, add a tiny bit of water to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F when checked with a meat thermometer.
After Cooking the chicken
- Once the chicken finishes cooking (whether grilled or cooked in a pan), allow the meat to rest on a plate for a couple minutes before serving. This allows all the juiciness of the chicken to settle right where it needs to be – in the meat! ? Cutting the chicken without letting it rest will cause the juiciness to escape onto the plate instead!
- Serve with a side of cilantro lime rice or whatever else you might fancy! 🙂
Depending on your love/tolerance for spice, you may adjust the amount of chipotle in adobo to your liking. The amount stated in the recipe is just right for us (we like spice!) but you may want more or less depending on your taste. ?
Personally I like to marinate my chicken in a zip lock baggie in the fridge overnight. Just remember to take the chicken out of the fridge an hour or so before you plan to cook it so it can be closer to room temperature. Cooking cold meat straight from the fridge will result in uneven cooking.
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main
- Method: Grill or Stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired