Cheese ball ingredients:
- In a pan, cook the bacon pieces until crisp, remove from the pan and set aside on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Remove most of the bacon fat from the pan, but leave about 1 tbsp to cook the onions next. To the pan, add the white parts of the chopped green onions and cook until softened and slightly caramelized. Remove from the pan, set aside in a small dish until needed.
- Using an electric mixer, combine softened cream cheese, cooked bacon pieces, cooked onions, sour cream, Swiss and Cheddar cheese, and the dry onion soup mix.
- Lay out a piece of plastic wrap on the counter top. This should be large enough to wrap around your formed cheese ball.
- Using your hands (clean of course!) scoop up the combined cheese ball ingredients and form them into a large ball. Place the ball on top of the plastic and wrap it tightly, making sure to keep its ball shape. Place the wrapped cheese ball in the fridge to chill and firm up for at least 2 hours. I find that it is best though, to chill the cheese ball overnight to give the flavours enough time to develop.
- Before serving your cheese ball, on a plate, combine the crispy fried onion bits, chopped pecans and green parts of the green onions. Remove the cheese ball from the plastic wrap and roll the ball in this mixture until it’s evenly coated.
- Place on a large serving platter surrounded by crackers. Be sure to place a knife with it so pieces can be easily sliced off the cheese ball.
NOTE: It’s important to coat the ball shortly before serving. I find that this ensures that the crispy fried onion bits stay nice and crispy for when it’s served. If you decide the coat the ball for some time before serving, it’s ok too! The taste will still be amazing, but the crispy onion bits will be a little less crisp.
- Category: Appetizer
Keywords: party food, appetizer, game day