1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside until needed.
- Using an electric mixer (hand mixer or stand mixer is fine), cream together peanut butter and shortening with white sugar and brown sugar. The mixture should be smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix well until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your dry ingredients using a whisk – flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the creamed butter/sugar mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Use a spatula or scraper to scrape the dough around the sides of the bowl. Make sure the dough on the sides are mixed in – sometimes ingredients like to try and escape up the sides of the bowl – don’t let them get away! lol ?
- Using a spoon, scoop up some of the cookie dough – enough to make a rough ball a little bigger than an inch. Using another spoon, scrape the dough off and let it fall into the place on the cookie sheet. Please don’t roll the dough around with your hands – this will overwork the dough – just gently form it using the spoons and drop on the cookie sheet.
- Place 6 little piles of dough evenly on the cookie sheet, leaving enough room for them to expand slightly when baking.
- Using a fork, make a criss-cross pattern on the top of each cookie. I find that dipping the fork in a little water first helps prevent the fork from sticking to the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until you can see the bottom edge of the cookies turn just slightly golden. Once finished, allow to cool while still on the baking sheet (about 10 minutes) – removing them from the sheet too soon will make them fall apart – you need to give them enough time to firm up a little.
- Remove from the baking sheet and allow to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American/Canadian