- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 (7oz/227ml) cans whole water chestnuts, drained and rinced
- 1 lb smoky bacon
- tooth picks
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine ketchup, brown sugar, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce in a mixing bowl. Make sure everything is combined well.
- Cut the package of bacon in half so that each strip is only half as long.
- Wrap each water chestnut with half a bacon strip and secure with a tooth pick and drop into the mixing bowl with the sauce mix.
- Once finished wrapping the bacon and water chestnuts GENTLY fold the sauce over them in the mixing bowl. Make sure that each piece is evenly coated and covered in the sauce.
- Using tongs, gently remove the wrapped water chestnuts from the mixing bowl and place onto a broiler pan over foil lined baking sheet. (I find that the clean up is much easier when using a foil lined sheet). If you don’t have a broiler pan you can try just using a baking sheet – just make sure you remove the cooked water chestnuts quickly so they don’t sit in the fat for too long.
- Using a spatula remove any of the remaining sauce from the mixing bowl and drizzle over the wrapped water chestnuts.
- Place the prepared water chestnuts into the oven to cook for about 35 minutes.
- Using tongs remove the appetizers to a serving plate.