Pulled Pork Ingredients
- 3–4 lbs pork loin, as much of the fat trimed off as possible – a little fat is ok though
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce – I highly recommend using one that has a garlic flavor with this recipe
- At least 4 tbsp of the pork rub seasoning below – Personally, I use the entire amount below for a 3-4 lb pork loin but feel free to reduce the amount if you’d prefer a little less for your tastes
The Pork Rub
- 1 tbsp black pepper, ground
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- Cover the pork loin in the desired amount of the pork rub. Make sure that it covers all surfaces of the meat.
- Place the meat into the slow cooker along with the remaining ingredients under “Pulled Pork Ingredients” and cook on LOW for 8 hours. You can also set this to cook on HIGH for 6 Hours.
- Once the pork loin has cooked, turn off the slow cooker and remove the meat. Cut the meat into 4-6 large chunks so it’s easier to work with when shredding.
- If you have a stand mixer, place 2-3 chunks of the meat into the bowl and turn on to the lowest speed using the paddle attachment. Keep a close eye on it so that it doesn’t get “over-shred” This will shred the pork without much effort. Take the pork out of the stand mixer and mix with the liquid in the slow cooker. Continue to shred the remaining pork in the mixer, remove and combine with the liquid in the slow cooker.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer, The pork should be tender enough that you can shred the pieces with two forks. It will take a little longer to shred using this method but it won’t be too difficult since the meat will be tender. Once the meat is shredded combine with the liquid in the slow cooker.
- You can use the pulled pork on a sandwich, pulled pork pizza, pulled pork tacos, etc. There are so many options for using pulled pork! 🙂
The prepared pulled pork freezes very well so you can store any leftovers in the freezer until you want some more.