When I think of good old fashioned home cooking and comfort food, one of the first things that comes to mind is chicken pot pie.
Chicken pot pie is great for those cold winter days or honestly, if I had my way, I'd have it any time of the year! 😉
In this post I'll share with you my recipe for the most scrumptious old fashioned chicken pot pie ever!
I just know you're going love this! 😀
Chicken pot pie is another one of those awesome recipes you can put together using leftover veggies and chicken. I make this often using leftover meat from a rotisserie chicken but you can also use cubed chicken breast.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it makes for a delicious and filling meal for money conscious people like me. 🙂 I use cream in this recipe, but you could also use milk if you'd prefer – if you do you might want to double the amount and let it reduce for longer.
For the chicken pot pie filling I used a combination of onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, fresh thyme and celery. This gives everything that perfect classic flavour we're looking for. 😀
All these lovely little ingredients simmer together in some chicken stock and heavy cream to make for an absolutely irresistible and warming classic comfort food.
OMG – just look at that gorgeous golden dome on that chicken pot pie!!
Just lovely… 🙂
And the filling that's inside that gorgeous flaky crust?
Yup, that's pretty amazing too! 😀
There's just something so comforting about chicken pot pie, am I right? 😀
You're family will love digging into this classic dish – enjoy!
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below the recipe!
- 3 cups, cooked chicken, cubed (I used chicken breast for this recipe but you can also use meat from a roast chicken)
- 3 tbsps butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⅓ cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 sprigs or more fresh thyme, push the little leaves off the springs and set aside until needed
- 3 tbsps flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream (you can also use half and half if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg + 2 tbsps water, beaten together with a fork and set aside
- 2 sheets prepared puff pasty dough or pie dough (cut both to the size of the pie plate)
- 10" pie plate
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place one of the cut sheet of puff pasty in the bottom of the pie plate and set aside until ready.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter on medium.
- Add the onions and cook until softened.
- Once onions have softened, add celery, garlic, carrots, potatoes and frozen peas.
- Add fresh thyme.
- Combine everything and cook until vegetables have softened. about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the veggies and combine well. Stir this around and cook for about 2 minutes so the flour is cooked.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add the cream.
- Add the cooked chicken meat.
- Cook for another 10 - 15 minutes on low heat. Keep in mind that the longer you simmer the filling the more the sauce will reduce. Just keep an eye on how juicy/thick the filling is and stop when it's where you like it. Personally I love a thick and super full pot pie! 🙂
- Taste test the chicken pot pie filling and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place one of the pastry sheets in the bottom of the pie plate, making sure all the surfaces are covered.
- Scoop the filling into the pastry lined pie plate. Please note that while this looks like more filling than you need - trust me - it's not! Just keep piling the filling on top. Once you put on the top part of the pastry you'll have a nice classic pie dome. 🙂
- Carefully cover the top of the pie with the 2nd piece of pastry.
- Going all the way around the edge of the pie, fold a little of the top pastry down under the bottom pastry and press it together to seal. Again going around the edge of the pie, press down using the prongs of a fork.
- Next, using a very sharp knife, cut some steam vents into the top pastry (see the pictures for this post).
- Lightly brush the prepared egg wash (1 egg + 2 tbsp water beaten with a fork) over the top of the pie crust. Only a little is needed to make a golden pie top! 😀
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving. The pie will be very hot!