One of my favorite kinds of meals are comfort food and this one really hits the spot! This is an oh so yummy cheesy and delicious pasta dish that satisfies hungry tummies!
My little boy Donnie absolutely loves this for lunch. There is no mac and cheese-mix powder used in this – just good old fashion ingredients to make this from scratch. Oh and did I mention it’s pretty simple and quick to make as well!!
- 3 tbsps flour
- 3 tbsps butter or margarine
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1½ cups milk (you might need a little more depending on how saucy you want your sauce)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (best if it's the stretchy kind like pizza cheese)
- 1 lb pasta shells (or any other pasta you like)
- Start off by boiling your pasta according to the package directions. Once ready reserve a little pasta water (about ¼ cup) and then drain the pasta in a colander.
- In a saucepan melt the butter or margarine on medium heat. Once melted quickly stir in the flour, cayenne, paprika and garlic powder using a whisk. It should come together sort of like a paste.
- Now add the milk while stirring with the whisk. Once it starts to thicken turn down the heat and add the cheeses. Stir it up nice and good so it's all melted and yummy together.
- Add the reserved pasta water and combine - this will help the sauce stick to the pasta.
- Combine the sauce and the cooked pasta well in a serving dish and it's ready!!