My son Donnie calls this “creamy pasta” and will eat up every bit of it from his plate without putting up a fight!
You know what?
The adults in the house don't put up much of a fight when served pasta with alfredo sauce either! lol
We eat a lot of pasta here and it's one of our go-to meal options when we're super busy. Sometimes though, as much as we love our pasta in this house, we like to have something a little different.
Alfredo sauce is such a great and tasty alternative to the traditional tomato-based pasta sauces.
It's creamy, rich and makes plain old pasta into something extra special.
Making homemade alfredo sauce is actually very simple and it can cost a lot less to make than you might think!
Heavy cream is what gives the sauce it's delightful velvety texture. If cream happens to be on sale, pick some up and make a bunch of alfredo sauce!
You'll be glad you did!
After making this once, you'll see why there's no point in spending money at the store for premade jars of this stuff.
You can make alfredo sauce at home yourself in a little under 15 minutes, plus it's fresher AND you have more control over the exact ingredients you're using.
Want more parmesan cheese or more garlic? Go ahead and try it out! 🙂
Alfredo pasta is one of those amazingly delicious dishes that even though it's a little sinful, you won't mind digging into it. It's rich and creamy with just the right amount of garlic and freshly grated parmesan cheese. OMG – soooo perfect!!
Well, I guess I can only speak for myself really. lol But I certainly don't mind having this every now and again because it's so good!
If you're looking to make a lighter version of alfredo sauce, you could try using milk instead of cream. Personally, I have only used cream in alfredo sauce since it turns out so spectacular, but I've read that milk will work too. Be aware though that if you choose to use milk instead of heavy cream, the finished sauce may not be as thick.
You can serve the alfredo sauce with any kind of pasta you like, but I find it goes very well with fettucini and penne.
Also, slices of chicken breast, shrimp and scallops taste just AMAZING with this!
I hope you enjoy the recipe! 🙂
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Yield: About 2 cups of Alfredo sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- pinch of dried parsley, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan melt butter with cream and whisk together.
- Add the minced garlic and stir. Cook on medium heat for about 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Bring the contents of the saucepan to a light boil.
- Season with white pepper and use a whisk to combine.
- Allow the sauce to simmer at a lower heat. The sauce should begin to thicken after about 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan cheese to the sauce and allow it to melt. Use a whisk to combine.
- Serve on cooked pasta of your choice. I highly recommend using the sauce with fettuccini noodles or penne.
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below! 🙂