- 4 cloves of garlic
- About 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 lb (300 g) of shrimp, peeled and deveined (If frozen, thaw them first)
- 2 lbs fresh (not dried) Japanese Udon noodles (I buy a bag that has 4, 200g individual packs – similar to this one)
- 1 medium red pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 tbsp peanut oil
- Pinch of white pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- Sesame seeds (optional but nice to add)
Stir Fry Sauce
Assemble all ingredients before you start cooking – this will help everything go smooth and quick! 🙂
- In a small food processor (this is the mini one I use), mince the ginger and garlic together. You can also mince them by hand or using a grater if you prefer.
- Cut the green onions in half to separate the green part from the white. Thinly slice the white part and the green parts separately so you have 2 little piles of each color. Set aside.
- Combine the “Stir Fry Sauce” ingredients in a little dish and set aside.
Now Let’s get cooking!
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat the peanut oil for about 2 min on medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and the white parts of the green onion. Turn down the heat a bit and stir everything around – cook for about 2 min.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and sprinkle with white pepper and red pepper flakes. Turn the heat up a little. Cook the shrimp for about 4 min total – stir a few times to get the shrimp covered in contents of the pan.
- Once shrimp are pink and cooked, quickly remove from the pan and set aside.
- Make sure the heat is on medium and add the broccoli and red peppers to the pan – stir fry for about 6 minutes – the veggies should be softened a little but still crisp – stir them around so they soak in any of the leftover garlic and ginger from the pan. Once veggies are cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Next, add the stir fry sauce to the pan.
- Add the Udon noodles to the pan – I like to use tongs to separate them and push them around in the pan. Cook for 3-5 min until the noodles soak up most of the sauce. Turn the heat to Low. Stir them around and be careful to not let them get stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Now, add the veggies back to the pan and combine with the noodles. Add 1/4 cup of water and stir.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and stir everything around.
- Remove the pan from heat to prevent from over cooking.
- Add the sesame oil, sesame seeds and reserved green onion slices (the green part this time). Using tongs toss everything together.
Serve and enjoy!
Sometimes I like to add a little Sriracha hot sauce to the stir fry sauce for a little kick! 🙂