This easy cheese sauce recipe is such an easy way to dress up and push your meal just over the edge of awesomeness!
Seriously, cheese goes with everything.
With that in mind, this is a cheesy household. In fact, we are extremely cheesy here. 🙂
My husband and especially my son love cheese with pretty much any kind of meal! I obviously love it as well!
I mean, look at that…
This recipe for easy cheese sauce is so simple and you can use it in lots of different ways.
This goes great drizzled over steamed veggies like broccoli and you can also use it as a cheese for nachos!
You can also use this cheese sauce with macaroni noodles to create your own simple homemade macaroni and cheese. 🙂
This easy cheese sauce recipe starts out as a basic roux using all-purpose flour and butter. Some seasonings like garlic powder, salt and pepper, a pinch of cayenne and some paprika give the cheese sauce a nice little zing.
I used extra sharp aged cheddar cheese in this recipe but you could adapt this to use with any kind of cheese that you prefer for a different flavour.
This cheese sauce is so good I must warn you:
You may need to make double!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and please let me know how it turns out for you!
Easy Cheese Sauce
- Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Category: Sauce
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups extra sharp aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a sauce pot on medium heat, melt the butter.
- While the butter is melting, in a small dish combine the flour with the spices and seasonings.
- Once the butter is melted, heat still on medium, add the flour mixture while whisking quickly for about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Pour the milk into the pot and turn the heat up to high to bring to a boil.
- Quickly whisk while it's coming to a boil. The sauce will thicken up fast.
- Once the sauce thickens up add the cheese to the pot and turn the heat down to LOW.
- Use the whisk to combine the cheese sauce and turn off the heat.
- Serve over steamed broccoli or use in cooking as desired.
I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below! 🙂