- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups corn niblets (fresh or frozen – if frozen thaw them before mixing into the recipe)
- Vegetable oil – for frying
Other items needed:
- Deep frying or candy thermometer
- Cookie sheet with a couple layers of paper towels laid out.
- A metal cooling rack placed on top of the cookie sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Everything should be well mixed.
- Mix in the milk and eggs using a whisk.
- Add in green onions and corn. Mix.
- Heat oil in a large high sided frying pan. Oil should be about 1″ deep.
- Attach a candy/deep fryer thermometer to the side of the pan.
- Once the temperature reaches 375°F drop spoonfuls (about 1 1/2 tbsps worth) of batter into the oil. Cook for about 3 minutes and then flip them over and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oil and place on the metal cooling rack to drain any excess vegetable oil.
- Try not to overcrowd the pan while they are cooking. You can do these in several batches.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
Make sure you keep an eye on the temperature on your thermometer. Keep adjusting the level of heat on the burner to try and keep the temperature at 375°F as much as possible for the best results.